Monday, January 24, 2011

Surgery!



Well, today I got to hang out with my awesome Father in the surgery room at Fairview Southdale Hospital and watch a cardiac artery bypass graft. I took some pictures, some video and did a few sketches. I seriously love being a part of stuff like that.
I also have THESE:

I started on the finals and hopefully with be done by tonight. I'll keep you guys posted.

There may be more soon!

EDIT:
Here are some pictures from the procedure.

Making the first incision

This is the chest cavity all opened up. The tubes are connecting to the main arteries of the heart, sending the blood flow to the Heart Lung Machine (which is what my Father works with), keeping the blood circulated. For this case they didn't stop the heart to work on it.

This little instrument is a suction cup that has a fixed arm that can lift up the heart and keep it in place. One of the arteries they were repairing was on the opposite side of the heart.
Finished repairing, so they are tying the sternum together with thick wires. after this, stitches go into the subcutaneous fat and also on the final layer of skin.
My amazing Dad and I!

There you have it!


Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment