Friday, January 21, 2011

Also!


I have a project proposal. It is as follows:

For my senior project, I would like to do a series of medical illustrations encompassing the topic of everyday aches and pains. I am interested in taking on a project that involves medical illustration not only because medical illustration has always been something that I have wanted to do, but also because I have no

t seen any work of that sort come out of MCAD. I will create a series of twelve 11”x14” illustrations, with one inch borders done in technical pen, watercolor, acrylic ink, and other various mediums. I would like to include a representation of how my interest in medical illustration began with an educational video that my Father made for my second grade class about how a heart lung machine works.

The topics that I will address will include aches and pains that revolve around muscular tension, joint pain, and disc pain, arthritis pain and for two, joint replacement. Every week, I hope to start and finish a new illustration, starting with a triptych that addresses the various locations of migraine pain on the human head. After that I will do single illustrations addressing the topics of arthritis pain, back pain, carpal tunnel pain, heart attack and fibrillation, hip and knee replacements, neck pain, foot pain and infection of the inner ear pain.

I wish to project my work to an audience

that is above the age of 19 or 20. I would hope that parents, grandparents and older siblings would be intrigued by the application of an artistic medium to something that is traditionally seen as scientific. I would also hope to reach people who are in the medical field that don’t necessarily associate art with medicine. I also understand the “gross out” factor about medical illustration, but I want to make it clear that the illustrations will not be grotesque. I simply want to show that there is a market for this kind of illustration.

The resources that I plan to investigate with this project are books that I already have in my possession or experiences that I can easily attain. Seeing as my Father works in the medical field, I have permission to join him in surgery to take pictures, video, notes and sketches of the human body and the processes and tools of the surgical process. The biggest resource that I will be using is the “Atlas of Human Anatomy and Surgery” by J.M. Bourgery and N.H. Jacob.

I plan to present my finished work in three rows of four on the wall with silver metal frames. I would like to have the surgery video that my father made with the presentation.

With this project I plan to challenge myself as well as liberate my own interests in medical illustration by clearly projecting the topic in a clear and aesthetically pleasing way.

And with my trusty book, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!

Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment